Having survived one of the greatest disasters of our time, Nate is not afraid to talk about the massive tsunami that took the life of 230,000+ people, among them his beloved Fernando. Nate speaks eloquently about the man who encouraged him to see life in a different way.
Throughout the hour telecast, I could easily visualize many of the scenes Nate described. The lovingly prepared knapsacks for needy children flying through the air. The mattress that appeared out of nowhere and wrapped itself around a telephone pole, allowing Nate and Fernando to hang on for a short while. Fernando, clinging to Nate, and then suddenly blown away, never to be seen again.
While grieving, Nate felt raw, insignificant and afraid. But with the love and support of his family and friends, he was able to come to terms with the fact that he was living a new normal.
- If I can get to the light, I can breathe. ~Nate Berkus
- All death is a reminder to turn up the volume on your life. ~Oprah
- When the worst has happened and you are able to speak your truth, you get a lot done. ~Nate Berkus
- Every day is the reason. ~Oprah
- Witnessing was a gift. ~Nate Berkus
- When people show you who they are, believe them…the first time. ~Maya Angelou