Today is National Homemade Soup Day, a day devoted to celebrating those warm bowls of comfort that nourish our bodies and souls. Take some time to make your favorite soup or experiment with a new recipe.
If you’re open to experimenting, try Avgolemeno, a Greek lemon chicken soup that releases endorphins while warming up our insides. Packed with protein and Vitamin C, this soup is a staple in many Greek homes throughout the winter months. (Pronunciation Guide for Avgolemeno here)
You don’t have to limit yourself to one season. Avgolemono is a great go-to dish whenever you are feeling under the weather and need a quick pick-me-upper.
Here’s a tried-and-true recipe from my mother’s kitchen:
5 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup Italian arborio rice*
1 lemon, juiced
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
* Feel free to substitute orzo or any small shaped pasta.
1. Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the rice and cook until chewy, but soft. Italian arborio rice will take about 20 minutes.
3. Take the saucepan off the heat and set aside. Let it sit for five minutes. If the rice mixture is too hot, it will curdle the eggs.
4.In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until frothy and then add the lemon juice.
5. Add the rice mixture, a spoonful at a time, to the egg mixture. Stir well.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
More Soup Recipes…
Broccoli | Celery | Asparagus | Lazy Woman’s Soup | Vegetable Quinoa | Watercress | Zucchini and Watercress
Only one thing to say: yummy!
Sounds yummy. Thanks.
You’re very welcome! 🙂