Zucchini bread first appeared during the hippie movement of the 1960s. The hippies experimented with different fruits and vegetables and came up with healthier versions of sugar-laden cakes and other desserts. Their first invention was banana bread. Soon after, zucchini and carrot breads were added.
You will not find zucchini in your garden during the month of April, but you can buy it at a grocery store. Small and medium-sized zucchini are the most flavorful.
Celebrate National Zucchini Bread Day with this delicious, easy-to-prepare recipe.
3 cups grated zucchini
¾ cup vegetable oil
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup chopped raisins
1 grated orange
2 cups sugar
3½ cups Robin Hood flour
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sift flour and all dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to combine all other ingredients.
4. Add sifted ingredients and mix well.
5. Grease a 9″x13″ rectangular pan and a loaf pan.
6. Pour mixture into both pans.
7. Bake for 45 minutes.
Yield: 25-30 servings