The slim volume written by an unknown writer and picked up by a small publisher has sold more than 1.5 million copies since 1997.
Yesterday, Don Miguel Ruiz joined Oprah on Super Soul Sunday to talk about the extraordinary message of hope and inspiration contained in The Four Agreements.
Born into a family of shamans and teachers, Ruiz originally rejected the ancient Toltec traditions and went to medical school. In his final year, he was in a car accident from which he emerged physically unscathed, but emotionally transformed. He left the medical arena and decided to focus on the psychological aspects of illness and suffering.
Ruiz believes that most of the drama and suffering in our lives is self-created. If we can find inner silence and control our thoughts, we can become happier, regardless of our external circumstances.
In his own life, Ruiz faced a major health challenge at age 49. He woke up one morning with a heart attack and ended up in a coma for nine weeks. He then lived in pain for almost nine years, his heart functioning at only 16 percent. Excited about dying, Ruiz was determined to show people the best way to let go of the physical body. In 2010, he received a heart transplant.
Oprah and Don Miguel Ruiz spent the hour peeling back the layers of the The Four Agreements:
- Be impeccable with your word.
- Don’t take anything personally.
- Don’t make assumptions.
- Always do your best.
So many wonderful insights from Don Miguel Ruiz…
- Every single cell of our body is a universe.
- Humans are the only animals on earth that pay thousands of times for the same mistake.
- We are really secondary characters in everyone else’s story.
- You are not responsible for what other people understand.
- Happiness can only come from within.
- Drama occurs when we make assumptions and take things personally.
- The first three agreements exist only in imagination.
- If we don’t take action, ideas will dissipate.
- Stand in your own light and centered in your joy.
- Fourth agreement….takes pressure off when you know you’ve done your best.
- Religion is just a consequence of the spirit.
- You are alive…so take your life and enjoy it.