The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that asparagus possessed medicinal qualities, curing everything from toothaches to rheumatism.
While none of these claims have been proven, asparagus contains many essential nutrients, among them potassium, folate, and Vitamins B6 and C.
Last week, I decided to create an asparagus soup that would satisfy my sweet and savory taste buds.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of asparagus, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
3 cups of chicken/vegetable broth
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Hemp hearts (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic, and celery until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the asparagus , sweet potato, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3. Simmer for about fifteen minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Purée the soup in batches using a hand or immersion blender.
5. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper (to taste).
6. Sprinkle hemp hearts into the individual bowls.
Makes 4 servings, about one cup each.